Thursday 1 July 2010

EXCITED about my new job!! .."Hokey Pokey Queen" :)

It has officially been ONE YEAR since I have updated my blog ..partially due to the fact that my life in Iowa does not quite parallel my life in London. BUT exciting things are happening and its time to begin again ..

I just started my 2nd internship of my college career ..and I could not be more excited about it. My official title is "FRY Fest Intern". My unofficial (and preferred) title is "Hokey Pokey Queen".

FRY Fest is an event that takes place in the Iowa City/Coralville area the day before the football season opener, which is FRYday, September 3rd this year. "A celebration of all that is Hawkeye". And the event takes place all day long, beginning at 9:00 AM with a street renaming in honor of the former Iowa Football coach Forest Evashevski and closing the night with a concert of The Nadas, who are based out of Des Moines, IA (check out their website.. ) and Three Dog Night, who sing a lot of really well known songs (& their website.. ). The concert tickets are only TEN DOLLARS! (The Nadas begin @ 7 pm and Three Dog Night will start @ 9 pm). FRY Fest has everything from a car show to the world's largest Hawkeye tailgate & trade show.

BUT ..the most important part of FRY Fest (to me) is this year's attempt at breaking the Guinness world record for the largest, organized Hokey Pokey!!!! The reason it's so important to me is ..1) because the HOKEY POKEY is FUN and 2) my biggest responsibility as "Hokey Pokey Queen"/"FRY Fest Intern" is to ensure we BREAK THE WORLD RECORD (otherwise I may be shunned by the city & Hawkeye fans ....joke! but really, its important!)

& there is VERY good reason we want to break this record ..

During Coach Hayden Fry's years at the University of Iowa, he would lead the football team in the Hokey Pokey after big wins! So the tradition must live on and all Hawkeye fans MUST come to FRY Fest (FRYday Sept. 3rd @ 6pm) and help us set the Guinness World Record. The current record was set in 2003 in Toronto, Canada with 4,431 participants. BUT we want to blow that record totally out of the water :)

GO TO THE FRY FEST WEBSITE (to see everything that is going on that day!)..

& GO TO THE FRY FEST 2010 YOUTUBE CHANNEL (to see videos of Hayden Fry dancing the Hokey Pokey in the locker room with the team!) ..


I even have my own office ..w/ Hayden Fry watching over me! :)


IMPORTANT:
I have organized a FRY Fest Souvenir Button Contest. Kids, grades K-8, have the opportunity to design a button that will be sold at FRY Fest. They will also be recognized on our FRY Fest website, receive a free event t-shirt, and button featuring THEIR design! It's a great way to get kids involved with our event and help everyone get excited about the Hokey Pokey! So if you have kids or know kids, K-8, that would like to design a button for FRY Fest ..I have entry forms that I can email. Please just let me know!



Help spread the word. & Come out to FRY FEST!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment