Tuesday 14 July 2009

Brussels (continued) ..& my first SICK DAY (from work).

So basically Brussels was my ideal city ..minus the slight language barrier and extremely forward/creepy guys. The city is known for waffles, chocolate, french fries, and BEER ..not to mention the gorgeous buildings! (It's the "capital of Europe").

----> One of the many amazing buildings in the "Grand Place" (or Center Square)


My advice: Visit Belgium. Drink Leffe & Hoegaarden. Eat a "traditional" Belgium waffle (w/ nothing on it), then do it the tourist way & put as many toppings as possible. Eat frites (french fries) out of a cone, pick a good sauce (spicy! yummm). & if you're brave ..try mussels in brussels (w/ fries). OH & eat Belgium chocolate :)


Now today ..Tuesday, July 14th

I must set up this story ..so during my first couple of weeks in London I noticed my skin felt really dry. And usually that's typical during the summer, so I didn't think much of it. I just continued to use lotion when I got out of the shower (that I brought from home). And even drink more water (got to stay hydrated). WELLLLLLL ..over time this "dry skin" problem has turned into much more. While in Belgium I had the constant overwhelming need to itch/scratch my arms & legs. That is when I begun to wonder what the heck was going on. This morning when I woke up ..not good. I don't really remember being 5 years old and having the chicken pox but I can imagine that the "annoying MUST scratch my arm/leg now" feeling I am having was much like it. I called in sick to work. My first time EVER in my life. Crazy, I know? So because London practices this wonderful thing called "United Healthcare" (sarcasm) ..I had to REGISTER for an appointment today and tomorrow I must "promptly" begin calling the doctor's office at 8:30 AM. Our program director told me to just keep calling until I get through. What is this a radio contest or a doctor's appointment??? Apparently ALL of the appointments for the ENTIRE DAY fill up in the first 20 minutes the phone lines open. Which means I begin calling at 8:30 AM and if I have not gotten through by 8:50 ..I have to try again the NEXT day! Seriously? I hate going to the doctor's, but I appreciate it more in the STATES. Basically I have NO idea what started all of this scratching, but I will hopefully get an appointment tomorrow and find out. Everyone is guessing it's an allergic reaction or something "different" here. Well since everything is different it's a little bit difficult to pinpoint what it could be.

But of course I couldn't just sit around all day and stare at my arms & legs wishing I could itch them ..so I went with a friend (who called in sick because of a cough) to the British Library. And then to the British Museum.

We couldn't take any pictures in the British Library, but they had A LOT of really interesting things. We saw a collection of the original pieces of paper John Lennon wrote some of the Beatles songs on, one being "Michelle" written on the back of an envelope. We also saw the original manuscript of "Alice in Wonderland". They also had a huge exhibit of the famous Henry VIII. The room was freezing cold and all of the documents (books, letters, & paintings) were in temperature controlled cases to help preserve them. I finally got all of his wives straight. (A saying about his wives: divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived ..clever right?! haha).

Then we ventured to the British Museum! This is when the allergy pill I had taken began to kick in and I was getting sleepy, BUT I saw the ROSETTA STONE and my 1st real mummy!

-----> Inside the British Museum!



-----> the ROSETTA STONE (with a really bad glare)


------> a MUMMY


------> & last but certainly NOT least ..my legs covered in Calamine Lotion (had to, haha)


Discovering what I am allergic to ..TO BE CONTINUED :)

(follow-up blog tomorrow after my hopefully successful attempt at getting a doctor's appointment in London).

No comments:

Post a Comment